Vacancy: Senior System Engineer (Linux)
We’re looking for a Senior System Engineer to join the technical team in our Kingston upon Thames office, reporting to the Operations & Support Director.
The successful candidate will play a key role in our dynamic and award-winning technical team.
At the outset of our projects you will prepare environments for the initial deployments of LBS solution elements, deploy those elements, document that deployment and ensure the deployment is complete and ready to pass to support.
Subsequently in each project, and indeed for any of our international customers, you will provide the highest standard of ongoing support.
This will initially be during UK working hours, however availability for out of hours cover (24/7) will eventually be required (i.e. on call, as part of a rota).
Main Job Responsibilities:
- To take responsibility for the preparation, installation, testing and on-going support of CS system and software deliverables.
- Act as first point of contact for support issues for specific customers and work in conjunction with local 2nd line support teams and all relevant internal staff to provide support to all customers.
- Internal support to technical and non technical teams.
- At times, the person may have to be on call and connect remotely to the systems if an incident needs resolving.
- Potentially delivering training to customer engineering teams, overseeing integration activities with customers and 3rd party suppliers on site.
Minimum formal qualifications required:
- BSC or MSC in Computer Engineering minimum
Required level of experience and skills required:
The candidate should be bright, dynamic, and reliable. They should also have solid communication skills and work in a highly structured manner.
The candidate should have experience commensurate with at least 5 years in a similar role.
Strong Linux/Unix skills
- Installation, configuration of Linux (CentOS), Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc.
- Setup of networking equipment (switches, load balancers, VPN, etc.),
- OS hardening
- Setup and configuration of monitoring/alert tools (e.g. Nagios, Influx)
- Setup and maintenance of dev, test and CI platforms
- Installation of hardware and software systems, at client sites and remotely
- System dimensioning, provisioning and configuration
- Experience of support and maintenance to internal office networks and computers
- Familiarity with tools such as Ansible (especially), Puppet / Docker, Vagrant
- Knowledge of VNF environments and tools would be a distinct advantage.
- MySQL setup
- MySQL tuning and replication ideally.
- Postgres experience a plus (not mandatory)
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to liaise both with clients and internal teams to address issues effectively
- Able to communicate and liaise at a technical level; including to customers whose first language is not English
- Able to write excellent quality technical documentation such as: installation guides, operation manuals, test plans, etc. in English
- Have experience of ITIL. ISO and quality management process experience would also be beneficial
- Knowledge of additional languages a plus (e.g. Spanish, Arabic)
- Experience in similar role in Telecoms, Finance, Banking, Aerospace – or any other industry where there are mission critical systems and formal acceptance processes would be beneficial.
Only candidates with the right to work in the UK will be considered.
As part of our recruitment process, Creativity Software collects and processes personal data relating to job
applicants. The organisation is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations. Read here for more information.